Can Chickens Eat Poison Ivy? Are The Leaves And Berries Safe?

Sharing is caring!

It’s a question that’s been on the minds of many chicken owners lately. With all the recent news reports about the dangers of eating poison ivy, people are starting to wonder if their chickens can eat the leaves and berries without getting sick.

Can Chickens Eat Poison Ivy Leaves

Chickens are often lauded for their omnivorous nature, and they will eat just about anything, from bugs to scraps of kitchen waste. So, it should be no surprise that chickens can also safely eat poison ivy leaves.

In fact, the leaves are not poisonous to chickens or most other animals. However, humans should be careful not to touch their chicken if it’s been near the plant, as the oil from the leaves can cause a rash. But as long as you take precautions, there’s no need to worry about your chickens eating poison ivy.

Can I Get Poison Ivy From My Chickens?

Chickens are known for pecking at just about anything, including poisonous plants like poison ivy. However, these feathered friends can eat poison ivy without any harmful effects. Unfortunately, they can spread the plant’s toxins through their poop and touch, so it’s important to avoid touching them if they’ve been in contact with poison ivy.

Poison ivy can cause a range of allergic reactions in humans, from itching to breathing problems, so it’s important to seek medical attention if you experience any symptoms after exposure. In the meantime, wash your hands thoroughly and avoid touching your face or eyes to prevent the spread of the plant’s toxins.

What Is Poison Ivy

Poison ivy is a common plant that can be found in many parts of the United States. The plant contains a chemical called urushiol, which can cause an itchy and blistering rash in most people who come into contact with it.

Poison ivy is typically found in wooded areas but can also grow in gardens and yards. The best way to avoid coming into contact with poison ivy is to learn to identify the plant and stay away from it.

If you do come into contact with poison ivy, you can remove the urushiol by washing the affected area with soap and water. You can also use over-the-counter products like calamine lotion to relieve the itching.

Identifying Poison Ivy

Poison ivy can be difficult to identify, as it changes color and appearance with the seasons. It is generally green with one big leaf and two smaller ones off to the side; all three leaves have pointy tips. It grows in vine form, having multiple sets of leaves along the vine.

The leaves grow in different colors depending on the season: red and/or green in the spring, with green flower buds; slowly opening and appearing off-white in early summer; entirely green in mid-summer; bright yellow, red, and orange in the fall; and deep red in winter before they shrivel off.

If you suspect you’ve come into contact with poison ivy, it’s important to wash the area immediately with soap and water. Avoid scratching, as this can spread the rash. If you develop a rash, calamine lotion may help to soothe it. Poison ivy is not usually deadly, but it can cause severe discomfort. So it’s best to err on the side of caution and avoid it altogether if you can.

Is Poison Ivy Bad For Chickens

Poison ivy is a common plant that can be found growing in many different places. It is often found along walls or in other areas where there is little foot traffic. Despite its name, poison ivy does not actually affect chickens or most animals.

This is because animals, in general, have very different histamine and allergen responses than humans do. However, poison ivy can still be a nuisance, as it can quickly spread and take over an area if left unchecked.

Like many other animals, chickens view poison ivy as a tasty weed. The little white berries that grow beneath the ivy leaves particularly appeal to them. As a result, the seeds of the plant are spread around through their droppings.

While chickens might not be drawn to eating the ivy leaf itself, consuming some will not cause them any harm. Consequently, it is important to be aware of the potential for poison ivy to spread through your flock.

However, as long as you take steps to prevent your chickens from access to the plant, there is no need to worry about them being harmed by it.

What To Do If A Chicken Eats Poison Ivy

While poison ivy is an irritant to humans, chickens are not affected by the plant in the same way. In fact, some chicken owners have reported that their chickens will actually eat poison ivy if they come into contact with it.

This poisonous plant can cause a severe allergic reaction in some people, and it can also be transmitted to humans through contact with contaminated feathers. If you suspect that your chicken has eaten poison ivy, take steps to prevent them from passing it on to you.

This includes washing them with soap and water to remove any residual oil from their feathers. You should also remove any contaminated bedding or clothing from their coop and disinfect any surfaces that may have come into contact with the plant. By taking these precautions, you can help to keep yourself and your family safe from the harmful effects of poison ivy.

While most people are familiar with the itchy rash that poison ivy can cause, fewer know that the oil from the plant can also be transferred to eggs. If you collect eggs from chickens that have been roaming freely, there’s a risk that they may have come into contact with poison ivy.

As a result, it’s important to wash any eggs that may have been exposed to the plant. You can also choose to remove poison ivy from your property altogether. This will help to prevent your chickens from spreading the plant to other areas of your yard.

Natural Weed Kill for Poison Ivy

Poison ivy is a common problem in many gardens and yards, but it can be difficult to control without harming other plants. Luckily, a natural weed killer is effective against poison ivy and safe for use around chickens.

The recipe is simple: mix one gallon of horticultural or organic vinegar (20%) with 1/2 cup of salt and 1 tablespoon of Dawn dishwashing detergent. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and apply it to the leaves and roots of the ivy plants.

Keep spraying until the plants are completely gone. If they keep coming back, consider getting some goats to help control the problem. With this natural weed killer, you can keep your garden looking great without harming your chickens.

In Conclusion

Chickens are known for their hardiness and can eat just about anything without any adverse effects. This includes poison ivy. However, while the chickens may be unharmed by the plant, you should be concerned about them passing on the poisonous oil to your skin.

Removing the ivy from your yard is the only way to ensure you won’t pick it up from your chickens. If you have poison ivy in your yard, make sure to keep your chickens away from it. Doing so can avoid coming into contact with the plant and its harmful effects.


Shanna is the 2nd half of Top Outdoor Survival. Like Forest, she has a passion for guns and knives. They love to go on a survival trip at least once a year. They love to go camping, hiking, and traveling.

Recent Posts